Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Guitar Hero III features 73 songs on the game's media; this includes the 39 single-player songs, three "Boss Battle" songs, six co-op career exclusive songs, and 25 bonus songs. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions support downloadable content in the form of new songs for the game. As of September 12, 2008, there are 59 songs available as downloadable content for both platforms, bringing the total number of available songs for these versions to 132. Four downloadable songs were only available for a limited time. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions each had an exclusive song.
Guitar Hero III features 73 songs spread across both the Solo and Co-Op Career modes. These songs are arranged in eight sequential tiers based on their relative difficulty. The player(s) must complete some or all of the songs in one tier (based on the career difficulty selected), including the Encore, to access the next one. During the Solo Career mode, the player will also encounter three Boss Battles, a new mode introduced in Guitar Hero III, at the ends of three tiers as listed below, prior to performing the Encore song. The player must attempt the Boss Battle three times, but after the third time the player has the option of passing the Boss Battle in order to continue progression in the game. However, this option is only available for the first two boss battles (Slash and Tom Morello), Lou has to be beaten to finish the game. In Co-Op Career mode, the players only perform the first six tiers, do not encounter any Boss Battles, and have different Encore songs from the Solo Career mode.
Once a tier is open at any difficulty level, all songs except the Encores and Boss Battle songs become available for all other game modes; the Encore songs become available once they are completed. The three Boss Battle songs are not playable outside of Solo Career mode. However, these songs were available as free downloadable content for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. All songs (except Boss Battles) can be unlocked for all modes through special cheat codes for the game, as to, for example, allow a solo player to access the Co-Op Encore songs without having to play through Co-Op mode.
Both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 version of Guitar Hero III feature the ability to download additional songs from the consoles' respective online stores. Most songs must be purchased in "track packs" of three and cannot be purchased individually while only some songs are available as "singles." There are a number of free songs available. The downloadable songs have been released on the same day on both the Xbox Live Marketplace and the PlayStation Store, with five exceptions. Besides the two console-exclusive songs, the three songs from the Companion Pack were not released for the PlayStation 3 until August 7, 2008.
* 3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
* A Perfect Circle - "Judith"
* AFI - "Medicate"
* Arctic Monkeys - "Brianstorm"
* Attack! Attack! UK - "You and Me"
* Band Of Horses - "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"
* Beastie Boys - "Gratitude"
* Beck - "Gamma Ray"
* Billy Idol - "Dancing with Myself"
* Billy Squier - "Lonely is the Night"
* Blink-182 - "The Rock Show"
* Blur - "Song 2"
* Bob Dylan - "All Along the Watchtower"
* Bon Jovi - "You Give Love A Bad Name"
* Brand New - "Sowing Season"
* Bush - "Comedown"
* Children Of Bodom - "Done With Everything, Die For Nothing"
* Coldplay - "In My Place"
* Darker My Love - "Blue Day"
* Darkest Hour - "Demon(s)"
* David Bowie - "Fame"
* Deep Purple - "Woman From Tokyo ('99 Remix)"
* Dire Straits - "Sultans of Swing"
* Duran Duran - "Hungry Like The Wolf"
* Eagles Of Death Metal - "Wannabe in L.A."
* Elliott Smith - "L.A."
* Elton John - "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting"
* Face To Face - "Disconnected"
* Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"
* Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."
* Gov't Mule - "Streamline Woman"
* Grand Funk Railroad - "We're an American Band"
* Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life"
* Iron Maiden - "2 Minutes to Midnight"
* Jeff Beck - "Scatterbrain"
* Jimmy Eat World - "Bleed American"
* John Mellencamp - "Hurts So Good"
* Johnny Cash - "Ring of Fire"
* Kaiser Chiefs - "Never Miss a Beat"
* King Crimson - "21st Century Schizoid Man"
* Kings Of Leon - "Sex on Fire"
* Kiss - "Shout it Out Loud"
* Love and Rockets - "Mirror People"
* Megadeth - "Sweating Bullets"
* Mötley Crüe - "Looks That Kill"
* Muse - "Plug in Baby"
* My Morning Jacket - "One Big Holiday"
* Nirvana - "Lithium"
* Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
* No Doubt - "Ex-Girlfriend"
* Peter Frampton - "Do You Feel Like We Do (Live)"
* Public Enemy Featuring Zakk Wylde - "Bring the Noise 20xx"
* Queen & David Bowie - "Under Pressure"
* Queens Of The Stone Age - "Make it With Chu"
* Rammstein - "Du Hast"
* Rose Hill Drive - "Sneak Out"
* Rush - "The Spirit of Radio (Live, 2008)"
* Santana - "No One To Depend On (Live)"
* Scars On Broadway - "They Say"
* Screaming Trees - "Nearly Lost You"
* Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
* Sonic Youth - "Incinerate"
* Spacehog - "In the Meantime"
* Stevie Wonder - "Superstition"
* Sublime - "What I Got"
* Sunny Day Real Estate - "Seven"
* T. Rex - "20th Century Boy"
* The Bronx - "Six Days a Week"
* The Derek Trucks Band - "Younk Funk"
* The Duke Spirit - "Send a Little Love Token"
* The Killers - "All the Pretty Faces"
* The Police - "So Lonely"
* The Raconteurs - "Steady As She Goes"
* The Rolling Stones - "Sympathy for the Devil"
* The Sword - "Maiden, Mother & Crone"
* The White Stripes - "Blue Orchid"
* Thin Lizzy - "Jailbreak"
* Thrice - "Deadbolt"
* Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down a Dream"
* Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "American Girl"
* TV On The Radio - "Wolf Like Me"
* Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk"
* Weezer - "Why Bother?"
* Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music"
* Wolfmother - "Back Round"
Artists to be featured as characters:
* Matt Bellamy (Muse)
* Johnny Cash
* Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
* Shirley Manson (Garbage)
Here's a mixed bag of news straight from Activision about some spankin' new content for Guitar Hero World Tour. Seems they're in the giving spirit, at least in part, as their Reggae Rock pack is available free of charge ... the Hard Rock Track Pack will cost some dough on the other hand. Hey, at least it's something. Here are the details.
The Hard Rock Track Pack features:
* Hinder - "Use Me"
* Nickelback - "Because of You"
* Rev Theory - "Light it Up"
The Reggae Rock Track Pack features: (free)
* Pepper - "Your Face"
* Slightly Stupid - "Jimi"
* The Expendables - "Sacrifice"
The Hard Rock Track Pack is available via Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 440 Microsoft Points and from the PlayStation Store for $5.49. The songs are also available as singles for 160 Microsoft Points, $1.99 from the PlayStation Store and 200 Wii Points. Due to holiday scheduling, this Track Pack will be available in Europe on January 8th.
The Reggae Rock Track Pack is free and is available for download on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii.
Looking for Guitar Hero World Tour Cheats? We've got them at the links below.